Dec 5, 2013

PTO MInutes -- December 5, 2013

Call to order 6:05 pm
Attendance: Jessica Almy, Dan Roy, Alicia Wallace, Melissa Bocash, Amanda Leslie

Location: Lil Red School

Old Business:
Minutes – Approved. 

Treasurer’s Report—There were deposits of interest, Yankee Candle online profit, and picture money.  Payments to Yankee Candle and Billings Farm were made.  The next one should reflect an amazon deposit, a payment to Christine A. of  $120, and deposits from the holiday bake sale and 50/50 raffle.

Yankee Candle—2 items still needing correction.

School Food Drive—Jessica agreed to type up a reminder.

Holiday Program—Details were confirmed.  

PJ Party/Movie Night—Again, there were minimal sign ups.  We decided to cancel, contact those few who had signed up, and not try again next year.

Annie’s Grant—Amanda wrote and submitted the application.  We will be told mid-January if we receive it.

Box Tops—The checks still have not been received.

Website/FB site and group—Generally, it was agreed that these are helpful but shouldn’t replace paper communication.  Dan and Jessica still needed to be added to the FB group.

Pizza Fundraiser—Melissa contacted the company and decided we’d be rushed if we aimed to finish for the Superbowl.  We agreed that it wouldn’t significantly impact our sales.  We are planning to run it in February, to be delivered mid-March.

New Business:
Warm Hearts Drive—We will run this in January; I’ll find out from Christine what she does with the items collected.

Ice skating—This will depend on Scott, who is unsure of his plans.  It usually happens in January and February.

Sand for walkways—Dan was concerned about the steps and walkways being sanded this time of year.  Sand is available.  He agreed to check M-W-F, and Amanda will T-Th.

Agenda Items for next meeting: Valentine’s Day party

Mtg adjourned: 6:45 pm.
Next meeting: January 9, 2014

Nov 14, 2013

PTO Minutes -- November 14, 2013

Present: Melissa Bocash, Alicia Wallace, Allen Pifer, Samantha Pifer, Jessica Almy, Amanda Leslie, Tonya McMurray

Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at 6:11 p.m.

Approval of Minutes: Allen Pifer moved and Alicia Wallace seconded to accept the minutes of the October 3, 2013 meeting as presented. The motion passed.

Treasurer’s Report: The Treasurer’s Report shows a balance of $6,593.92 as of October 31, 2013. A little less than $4,000 will go to pay Yankee Candle. The photographer for school photos still needs to be paid; Amanda will calculate the total owed to her so we can pay her.

Old Business
Yankee Candles: We will receive a discount because of early payment. We have received payment ($95) from online sales.
Spring Play: Teachers are considering Peter Pan in March or April.
Fire Safety Month & Trip to Fire Station: Went well.
Veteran’s Day Program: Small turnout, but it went well. Discussed having a second form of communication (e.g., email list or Facebook page) to remind parents and see if we can get a higher turnout.
Recycling: Teachers have started collection boxes. Currently the recyclables are being transported to the SAU to be added to the Newport School District’s recycling. 

New Business
School Food Drive: Kick off December 2 and run through December 18. Teachers will talk to students and will up a challenge between buildings.  Food drive will benefit the Newport Food Pantry.
Holiday Program: Tentatively set for December 18. Teachers will check with Town Hall regarding availability of Town Hall. Program will be A Charlie Brown Christmas. Teachers have a Snoopy costume. Students will create the scenery. It was suggested that we ask people to contribute to the food drive.
December PJ Party/Movie Night: Amanda will create a poll to determine whether there is interest in a parents night out activity on December 6.
Annie’s Garden Grant: Amanda will write a grant to request funds for a student garden from Annie’s.  Alicia will coordinate the garden.

Earth Day/Memorial: Agreed to do a memorial for Alyssa Hansen – perhaps planting a tree in conjunction with Earth Day.
Box Tops and Labels for Education: Amanda sent in new submission and expects we will receive approximately $100.
Website: Needs to be updated and publicized. Link web page to Facebook page.
Library Visits: New children’s librarian starts at the beginning of December. Jessica will coordinate getting regular visits set up.
Scott: PE teacher will be leaving. Amanda will ask school board about plans for replacement
Bus Shelter: Have decided not to move forward with bus shelter.
Cards for Troops: Allen’s stepmother will bring in cards for kids to color.
Pizza Fundraiser: Melissa received details from Little Caesars. If we sell more than $100, shipping will be free. Agreed to look at January as timeframe for fundaiser.  

Next Meeting: Thursday, December 4 at 6 pm.

Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 6:55 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Tonya McMurray

Oct 3, 2013

PTO Minutes -- October 3, 2013

Present: Amanda Leslie, Samantha Pifer, Allen Pifer, Alicia Wallace, Dan Roy, Kelly George, Jessica Almy, Bev LaPointe, Michelle Maynard, Eric Philbert, Melissa Bocash.

Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at 4:44 pm

Approval of Minutes: Kelly George moved and Samantha Pifer seconded to accept the minutes of the September 5, 2013 meeting as presented. The motion passed.

Treasurer's Report: The Treasurer's Report shows a balance of $2,180.22 as of September 30, 2013.

Old Business
  •  Yankee Candle: Due Friday the 11th
  • Community Day: Was a success and a lot of fun.
  • Wellwood: Went well.
  • Hampstead: A little too expensive and out of budget. Kelly will look into booking a different play for March.
 New Business
  • Fire Safety: October 11th will be the fire house field trip. Fire station supplies lunch. Jessica will talk to Chief Lee about escorting the children as they walk to the fire station.
  • Halloween: Halloween party will be November 1st. Will ask 2nd and 3rd grade parents to provide food. Melissa and Bev may be available to help out.
  • School Choice Open House: We'll get volunteers for food. Bev will bring coffee station with everything that goes with it.
  • Veteran's Day: The music teacher will work on some songs with the children. Amanda will find out when it's happening (November 9th or 10th?)
  • New Fundraiser Idea: Little Caesars -- maybe in February -- Melissa will look into this a bit more.
  • North American Power: Alicia brought up signing the school up. She will talk to Chuck Stewart and find out more information.
  • Bus Shelter: Allen asked if it's really needed. The children like to be outside and it hasn't been a huge problem. The teachers can ask them to quiet down if it is a problem, but they still like the idea of a shelter. The school board gave the go ahead to add a bus shelter. Allen and Alicia will talk and possibly attempt to make one out of pallets. Possible location would be in front of the ramp. 
  • Bank: Sam signed the bank info to add Amanda to the PTO account.
  • Holiday Performance: The teachers need ideas. They are thinking of doing a survey to the parents for ideas. They could use this list to pick something for this year, as well as keep it for ideas in the future. 
  • Recycling: Will start recycling with a box, but will look into getting a recycling bin (checking on the labels website; if not, we'll buy one from Amanzon.) The teachers will let Carl know that it's for mixed paper recycling.

Respectfully submitted,

Samantha Pifer

Sep 5, 2013

PTO Minutes -- September 5, 2013

Present: Amanda Leslie, Allen Pifer, Sam Pifer, Dan Roy, Alecia Wallace, Kelly George

Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at 6:15 p.m.

Approval of Minutes: Allen Pifer moved and Sam Pifer seconded to accept the minutes of the August 15, 2013 meeting as presented. The motion passed.

Treasurer’s Report: The Treasurer’s Report shows a balance of $2,214.08 as of August 31, 2013.

Old Business
School Pictures: School pictures are scheduled for September 27 with a rain date of October 4. Sam is available to help the photographer.
Open House: Scheduled for Oct. 3 and will include a back-to-school potluck and PTO meeting. Kelly and Jessica will decide on timing of the PTO meeting/dinner and Open House and will forward information to parents.
Back to School Packets: Sent home with students last week.
Yankee Candle Sales: Amanda has the information. The PTO is able to have a table at Croydon Community Day, and we agreed to have Yankee Candle information at the table with kids manning the table. If kids come for a shift at the table, they will get their candle order forms there and get a head start on selling. Other students will get packets the following week. Sale runs through Oct. 15.
School Board  request for Kindergarten Committee: Amanda will report to the school board that the PTO sees no need for a Kindergarten committee as the information was researched and presented to the school board last year in conjunction with research about keeping 4th grade at the Croydon Village School.
Monthly Meeting Date & Time Review: Agreed to keep meeting at 6 pm first Thursday of the month at the school.

New Business
Election of Officers: Tonya McMurray moved and Kelly George seconded a nomination of Amanda Leslie as president. The motion passed. Amanda Leslie moved and Sam Pifer seconded a nomination of Kelly George as vice president. The motion passed. Amanda Leslie moved and Allen Pifer seconded a nomination of Tonya McMurray as secretary. The motion passed. Amanda Leslie moved and Alicia Wallace seconded a nomination of Sam Pifer as treasurer. The motion passed.
Croydon Community Day: Will be at Camp Coniston and include several kids’ activities. Kelly or Jessica will do a story time. PTO will provide glow necklaces. Sam and Allen will pick them up and bring them to the event.
Hampstead Players: The teachers will look at the possibility of a spring performance tied to curriculum.
Fall Field Trip: Students will again go to a local apple orchard. The PTO will pay for student admission to the orchard.
Yearbook: Agreed to do a yearbook for students at the end of the year. Tonya will put together. Jessica and Kelly will forward pictures of various school events to students.
Bus Shelter: Question of whether we can put up a bus shelter for older students waiting at the school for the bus into Newport. Alicia will check on supplies and Allen offered to build.
Library: Library cards are still active. Discussed having students attend all year. Would need to get Kindergarten cards or go on a Tuesday or Thursday.
Other field trips: Jessica and Kelly are researching costs for a Thanksgiving or holiday trip to Billings Farm.

Next Meeting: Thursday, October 3. Time TBD in conjunction with Open House

Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 7:05 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Tonya McMurray

Aug 15, 2013

PTO Minutes -- August 15, 2013

Present: Alan Pifer, Samantha Pifer, Christine Almstrom, Amanda Leslie

Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at 5:pm

Old Business
  • Minutes: Tonya not present -- no minutes to read
  • Treasurer's Report: None, as Sam had just done an end-of-the-year report. Only thing new was $ donated. but not used, for teacher appreciation and $ from plant sales. Amanda raised the question of another Box Top check arriving this supper.

New Business
  • Tentative Calendar of Events: Primarily, we looked at early items/events:
    • School pictures -- Last year, we charged $10 per CD. Rather than ask Amie Freak if she is interested, Christine will continue to do school pictures. We'll charge $!5 this year, so Christine will get $5 per student/CD for her time. We'll plan for 2nd part of September with a rain date  (probably a Friday). 9/27, raindate of 10/4
    • Open House -- Perhaps this could be early and combined with a back-to-school potluck, PTO meeting, and ice cream social.
    • Officers -- We'll need a change of signer form from the bank to remove Christine's name.
  • Back to School Packets: I'll assemble these to include the Feedback sheet & info on Box tops and Labels for Ed, and I'll send them out within the first month of school.
  •  Yankee Candle: I will look into Yankee Candle before next meeting.
  •  School Board request for Kindergarten Committee -- Angi brought this request to my attention. There are no willing people here;  we don't see the need, since 4th is happening, 3rd grade teacher could be added just for 4th and leave other classes as is. Making Kindergarten five day wouldn't really have any budgetary impact, beyond supplies and such. Only additional info could be educational research.
  • Quarterly PTO newsletters: Amanda proposed this idea. We could share what we've done, what the school needs, how the PTO could use help, etc. All were in favor.
 Monthly meeting day & time review: We agreed taht 6 pm works as a potluck and we will be at school until we see whether we're getting more people. We'll discuss the day of the week at the next mtg. as Sam's schedule is changing.

Any other items needing review
  • When we vote on members, officers, etc. we need to write to the bank to get the treasure and president on the account.
  • How do we get more people involved? Raffle for attendance. 
  • Alyssa Hansen memorial -- All were in favor of the idea, which needs monthly, which needs feedback from the teachers and parents.
  • Welcome back for teachers: Sam will handle pulling something together.